Saturday, April 9, 2011

Penne Vodka

Wednesday night at Hey Marseilles practice Jacob and Pam made up some delicious lamb chops with rice and Mediterranean salad from Mawada CafĂ©. Not that I’m competitive but I had to attempt to show them up tonight. I’d made this sauce a week prior and if I have once piece of advice it would be to not let anyone see you adding the heavy cream… my girlfriend walked in right when I was and made a growing sound and looked defeated. Apparently some of the dishes I serve up are not for calorie counters…

Vodka Sauce

28-32 Ounces Canned Crushed Tomatoes
1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
1 Cup Vodka
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
5 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 of a Large Onion
Salt
Pepper

I started my day with a trip to Ballard Market in uhh, Ballard. It felt a little like being an old person because I took a shower and got dressed and everything for my big outing of the day. Well, I actually took the shower and got dressed because I recently realized that I’m spending far too much of my day wearing Jordan shorts and my Patagonia fleece around town.


I love BM.







I do enjoy cooking alone, preparing a meal for others of course, but sometimes it's nice to have some friends join in. Here are Jose and Manuel. I picked them up in addition to my tan from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.


Start off by mincing the garlic and chopping the onions. Heat some olive oil on medium or even medium low depending on how hot your stove gets. Add a pinch of salt and let those things cook down but don’t let them get too brown or anything. Ideally they would stay white and do more of a sweaty cook down.






 After cooking down for 10 minutes or so you can add the 28-32 ounces of canned crushed tomatoes, vodka, chicken stock and heavy cream as well as your salt and pepper to taste.


Finely chop up about 20 basil leaves and add them to the sauce as well.


Now I just let the sauce cook at medium low, so it isn't bubbling, burning or making a huge mess on my stove... and let it cook down for about 45 minutes letting all the flavors combine while getting a little bit thicker and stuff.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! I had Jacob run to the store and he grabbed two chicken breasts that I pounded out flat, salt and peppered and pan fried to throw into the sauce. Good call Jacob.

This is a great recipe to add to your weekly routine which has probably been super lame until you stumbled upon my blog. I mean, ground beef tacos twice a week and a Digorno on Friday?!? I mean, you could at least go for Papa John’s. I mean, they give you pepper and garlic butter for the crust, mmmm…

I’m posting separate recipes for the remaining pieces of this meal. It’s pretty cool when you can say that you made pretty much everything your own and stuff. Like, if I was single I wouldn’t be for long making dinners like this.

Don't sneak up on me when i have a knife... Seriously.

Hey, I'm Jacob. I don't care what my girfriend is saying, I'm playing Words With Friends.

Thumbs up ala Matt Bishop.

1 comment: